Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I Respond To Old Comments

I was poking around the back-end of the ol' blog recently and saw that over the years, 81 unread comments going back to 2007 have somehow been sitting unread and unviewable (from the front-end) in the Blogger Comments here.

Whoooops! Um, sorry?

This issue mostly seems due to the DISQUS commenting system, which I use as a Blogger add-on, not properly loading at times or in certain browsers. When this happens, it sometimes makes Blogger Comments the default commenting interface temporarily so that when some people comment their comments aren't viewable to everyone else for whom DISQUS is working and properly loaded. As a result, some people's comments just linger in the aether acknowledged.

In fact, every so often when DISQUS is taking a long time to load, you can see the option to insert a Blogger Comment. It's like a glitch in the Matrix, except way less cool. I've noticed it for awhile now, but I mostly just try not to think about it.

Anyway, some of these lost comments include, by year:
  • 2011 - Someone thanked me for linking to their work as a Quote of the Day and also let me know her name was Ragen (which I had mis-stated as Kate) - sorry, fixed!
  • 2011 - A commenter creatively named "Antifeminist" took issue with the phrase "mansplain" (from this post) and claimed that the word is a "tactic that fems have to use" because we have no real arguments. To that, my timely response would be, yes good sir, you have hit the nail on the head. If you peruse my blog archives, or use the Control-F feature of your keyboard, you will find that the word "mansplain" is the lorum ipsum filler text of Fannie's Room. (Oooh, + this)
  • 2012 - Scooter asked perhaps one of the most pressing questions ever to be asked at Fannie's Room in response to my review of the film Itty Bitty Titty Committee: "I was not consciously aware of this movie but just this weekend I wondered if there was an analogous 'teeny little dick committee' for boys?"  To that I say, I don't know, but there probably should be?
  • 2012 - sarahbee made a salient observation (when talking about words in general): "What is up with the word 'female' instead of 'woman' to herald oncoming douchebaggery?" I KNOW, RIGHT?!
Also in these lost comments were a slew of ads and promotional content, which I refuse to re-post on principle.

Anyway, this glitchy thing will probably keep randomly happening, just something to keep in mind in case you comment and it doesn't show up or no one replies.  You are not invisible. Your voice matters! (Except for Antifeminist. That guy seems like a real jerk).

No comments: