Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Odds 'N Ends

1. Required Reading For Public Transportation Patrons?

I found this post, a handy-dandy "guy's guide for approaching strange women without getting maced" to be informative, true, and amusing. To her gentleman readers, Phaedra Starling writes:

"Now, you want to become acquainted with a woman you see in public. The first thing you need to understand is that women are dealing with a set of challenges and concerns that are strange to you, a man. To begin with, we would rather not be killed or otherwise violently assaulted.

'But wait! I don’t want that, either!'

Well, no. But do you think about it all the time? Is preventing violent assault or murder part of your daily routine, rather than merely something you do when you venture into war zones? Because, for women, it is. When I go on a date, I always leave the man’s full name and contact information written next to my computer monitor. This is so the cops can find my body if I go missing. My best friend will call or e-mail me the next morning, and I must answer that call or e-mail before noon-ish, or she begins to worry. If she doesn’t hear from me by three or so, she’ll call the police. My activities after dark are curtailed. Unless I am in a densely-occupied, well-lit space, I won’t go out alone. Even then, I prefer to have a friend or two, or my dogs, with me. Do you follow rules like these?"


It's worth a read, even though perhaps those most in need of reading it will never see it.


2. Roman Polanski Update

A Swiss court has refused to release Roman Polanski on bail, deeming him to be a "high" flight risk. Hmm, ya think?


3. Tradition is Tradition (for the most part, anyway)

Seizing on a golden opportunity to recruit, the Vatican has announced that it will be making it easier for Anglicans to convert, "reaching out to those who are disaffected by the election of female and gay bishops." From the Wall Street Journal:

"The new canonical structure is a response to the many requests that have come to the Vatican over the years from Anglicans who want to come back, increasingly disillusioned with the progressive bent of the Anglican Communion. Many have already left and consider themselves Catholic but have not found an official home in the 1.1-billion strong Catholic Church.

By welcoming them possibly at the expense of good relations with the Anglican Communion, Pope Benedict has confirmed the increasingly conservative bent of his church. The decision follows his recent move to rehabilitate four excommunicated ultra-conservative bishops, including one who denied the full extent of the Holocaust, in a bid to bring their faithful back under the Vatican's wing."


The Vatican will also allow married (male, of course) Anglican priests to become ordained Catholic priests.

Isn't it fun that the Vatican can bend or create special rules for some groups of people but adamantly refuse to reconsider rules with respect to others?

No comments: